One of the top reasons that so many people, including Christians, fail at budgeting is simply attitude. It a person thinks of it as a penny-pinching sacrifice instead of a means for achieving one’s financial goals, then it is unlikely they will stay with it. To increase the chances of a successful budget, it is important to work on the attitude.
If ”budget” sounds too harsh…consider it as a “financial plan” for the home. The plan can help you get ahead; control spending, and save for future spending. Budgeting really does matter in the process to help one reach their goals and without some formal plan of working with the finances, goals and dreams can never be reached.
Money is a tool…and a tool that everyone needs in today’s society. This tool can enable a person to reach their goals in life, however, until a person knows where their money goes and how it is spent, a conscious decision about how to use this tool effectively is impossible.
So it is important to get the right attitude and not give up. Quitting too soon or tiring of the process is simply a means of failure in reaching the potential goals and dreams one has.
The following scriptures give spiritual guidance for the finances of the home. Take the time to read these and study God’s plan for financial survival.
- Prosperity: Genesis 39:3; Psalms 1:3; Joshua 1:6-8; Luke 6:38; John 10:10
- Provision: Genesis 41; Exodus 15; I Kings 17; John 21:2-6; Matthew 4:11
- Giving: Deuteronomy 14:23; Malachi 3:10; Matthew 23:23; Hebrews 7:1,2
- Budgeting: Proverbs 22:3; 24:3,4; 27:12; Luke 12:16-21; Luke 14:28-30
- Debt: II Kings 4:1; Psalms 37:21; Proverbs 1:17,18; 22:7; Romans 13:8
- Co-Signing a note: Proverbs 6:1-5; 11:15; 17:18; 20:16; 22:26; 27:13
- Waste: Genesis 41:36; Luke 15:13; John 6:12
- Slothfulness: Proverbs 18:9; 24:30,31; Ecc. 10:18; Hebrews 6:12
- Prudence: Psalms 112:5; Proverbs 8:12; 13:16; 15:5; Hosea 14:9; Amos 5:13
- Business Life: Lev. 19:12; Proverbs 10:4; 13:4; 24:10; Romans 12:11,17; Luke 6:35
- Saving: Proverbs 21:5,20; 30:24-25
- Discipline: Matthew 7:13,14; Luke 9:51; Hebrews 12:11; II Corin. 8:11
You can learn more about the importance of tithing & giving at http://www.pastoralhelps.com/where-your-treasure-is/
Aubrey L. Jayroe is an Accredited Tax Advisor; Accredited Tax Preparer; Licensed to Practice before the Internal Revenue Service; Certified Tax Return Preparer
For 40 years, Jayroe & Company has been providing quality, personalized financial guidance to churches, local individuals and businesses. Jayroe & Company’s expertise ranges from basic tax management and recordkeeping services to more in-depth services such as reviews, financial statements, and financial planning.